✌️ Why should I come to Surf Office?
We started off with providing accommodation and office space to freelancers, remote workers, or just anyone who wanted to work while traveling the world/going on holidays. But our vision encompasses much more than that. We love to make our guests smile by creating an inspirational and collaborative environment. All of this is driven by a strong feeling of community.
? Do I have to surf?
Not at all, only about 30% of our guests actually go surfing. You’re always welcome to try it but it’s definitely not necessary to get a proper Surf Office experience
? Who are the typical guests?
- Freelancers and contractors
- Startup teams who need to concentrate on their projects
- Employees who can work remotely for a period of time
- Entrepreneurs with no time to go on vacation
? What should I expect?
- A typical Portuguese-style house full of like-minded people
- A private room in a shared apartment on one of its floors
- 24/7 access to working space
? What is the speed of internet?
You can expect 100% super fast internet. There are 3 fiber lines in the building, each up to 100Mb/s download and 20Mb/s upload.
? Do I have to pay anything extra?
No, everything is included in the rate. No hidden costs.
? Is there a daily agenda?
Everything is relaxed in Surf Office. We don’t have an official agenda but there’s always something going on and often our guests organize something themselves so feel free to ask around once you’re here.
? What does the housing look like?
Each apartment has 6 bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, living room and 3 bathrooms. The furnishing in all apartments is simple with a Portuguese touch to make you feel at home.
? Is there any private space for Skype calls?
We have several dedicated call rooms where you can handle calls and have Skype meetings with no distributions.
?? Should I speak Portuguese?
Almost everyone speaks some English in Lisbon and many people have good command of English. Portuguese isn’t especially easy to learn and locals don’t expect you to speak it so feel free to stick with English.
? Do I have to share a toilet/bathroom?
Yes, but don’t worry, common areas such as toilets are cleaned daily.
? What about hygiene and cleanliness?
The residence has a washing machine for your laundry. Apart from that, regular cleaning is included at no additional cost.
? What will be my room like?
- All rooms are decorated in a simple but functional style
- Each apartment has excellent beds with comfortable mattresses that are cleaned weekly
- Double room: 1.40 m wide bed
- Twin room (suitable for 2 friends traveling together): two 90cm wide beds
? What kind of working environment can I expect?
- Shared office space right in the residence
- Each visitor is equipped with a desk, comfortable chair and fast internet connection
- Private space for calls and Skype/Hangout meetings
- Meeting room
- Chill out area
? What to bring?
- Communal supplies such as laundry detergent, hair dryers, toilet paper, kitchen towels and cleaning products are ready for your use
- Every room comes with a set of bedding and towels
- Since the purpose of your stay is business, be sure to bring your computer and the necessary electricity converters
- If you forget to take these with you, we can help you locate a local electronics store to get you started
? Will I have an opportunity to meet and speak with new people?
Sure! You will meet your flatmates in the kitchen or in the coworking space on daily basis. We also offer tips for free time activities every day.
? Where is Surf Office Lisbon located?
We’re located in the center of Lisbon, in a typical 4-storey Portuguese building in Rua de S. Paulo.
? How will it work with food?
- Food is not included in your stay
- The residence has a fully equipped kitchen
- Communal dinners are encouraged and will be hosted regularly
- There are 18 great restaurants less then 5 mins walking
- Mercado da Ribeira (market full of trendy pop up restaurants) is only minutes from our residence
? Where to shop?
- As was mentioned before, everything you need is within walking distance
- Mercado da Ribera – a large, local market with fresh fruit, vegetables and seafood is only 3 minutes by foot
? What are average prices in Lisbon?
- Coffee: 0,7€
- Domestic beer (0.5L) in a restaurant: 1,5€
- Meal in an inexpensive restaurant: 7€
- 1 kg of bananas from a supermarket: 1,2€
? What is the surf like?
- Carcavelos is only 25 minutes by coastal train
- There are numerous spots in Caparica beach that are pretty consistent and uncrowded
- The famous surf spot Ericeira is about 45 minutes by car
- We organize weekend surf trips with our friends from Lisbon Crooks
- For those who want to learn surfing we cooperate with a local surf school in Carcavelos
✈️ How to get to the Surf Office from the airport?
It’s about 20 minutes by cab or Uber (10€) and 45 minutes by public transport (1,4€). We will send you more info after the booking
? How can I get a local 3G sim card for a mobile phone?
- You can get a 3G sim from NOS
- Price is 10 eur for a prepaid card with 1GB of mobile data
- No contract
- Works immediately
?? Is there bike rental and how much would that be?
- We have one bike in the office (free of use)
- There is a bike rental nearby for 5 eur a day
? How far is the nearest metro station?
4 minutes walking is the last stop on the green line – Cais do Sodré.
? How far is the nearest beach?
Coastal train gets you to Carcavelos beach in 25 minutes. The train is very comfortable and goes every 30 minutes.
? Is it possible to rent an office space separately?
Sorry, it’s not possible at the moment.
✂️ Do you offer discounts?
Yes, currently we offer discounts for all companies who are participating or participated in startup programs such as 500 Startups, YCombinator, TechStars, Seedcamp, HackFwd, Springboard, Startup Bootcamp & Startup Chile. Ping us via email@example.com.
More questions? Don’t hesitate to ask.